Reports of Ford stepping up plans to move production out of the UK are “deeply worrying”, former first minister Carwyn Jones has said.
The Times newspaper claimed the car giant told Prime Minister Theresa May it was preparing sites abroad.
Ford did not comment on the claim but said a no-deal Brexit would be “catastrophic” for the UK car industry.
It has a plant in Mr Jones’ Bridgend constituency and last month union Unite said 1,000 jobs were to be cut by 2021.
Those cuts, which the union said was because of challenging market conditions, would see the site’s workforce almost halve.
Ford is looking to shake up its European operations and is the latest carmaker to warn about the risks of a no-deal Brexit ahead of the UK’s departure from the EU on 29 March.
A spokesman said: “Such a situation would be catastrophic for the UK auto industry and Ford’s manufacturing operations in the country.
“We will take whatever action is necessary to preserve the competitiveness of our European business.”
Labour’s Mr Jones expressed his concern for workers and their families in Bridgend, but blamed the impasse over the Brexit deal on a lack of leadership at UK level.
“We have no idea what Brexit will look like,” he said.
“We’re six or seven weeks away from it and companies like Ford are saying, ‘look we can’t wait any longer, we’re going to have to put in place contingency plans’ and that’s deeply worrying.
“We need to make sure that we get to an agreement and certainty as quickly as possible.”
Unite national officer Des Quinn urged MPs to “stop gambling” with the futures of UK workers and their families.
He added: “They now must do what is best for the country by taking a no deal, hard Brexit off the table and securing the tariff-free, frictionless trade with Europe through a permanent customs union on which our manufacturing success depends.”
The UK government said the best way to provide certainty to industry is for MPs to support the prime minister’s Brexit deal.
A body has been recovered from the wreckage of the plane which crashed with Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson on board.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said specialist contractors joined the operation in “challenging conditions”.
It was carried out in “as dignified a way as possible” and the men’s families were kept updated throughout, it said.
The wreckage of the plane, which vanished two weeks ago over the English Channel, was found off Guernsey.
The Geo Ocean III, the boat carrying the body, arrived at Portland Port in Dorset on Thursday morning as it is the nearest part of the British mainland to where the plane was located.
Dorset Police said: “The arrival of the body into Dorset has been reported to the coroner for Dorset.
“The coroner will investigate the circumstances of this death supported by Dorset Police. A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.”
No formal identification has taken place, but the force said both families had been updated.
The Piper Malibu N264DB was en route from France to Cardiff, after the 28-year-old Argentine striker made a quick trip back to his former club Nantes two days after his £15m transfer to Cardiff was announced.
Mr Ibbotson, 59, from Crowle, North Lincolnshire, was at the controls when the flight lost contact with air traffic controllers on 21 January.
An official search was called off on 24 January after Guernsey’s harbour master said the chances of survival were “extremely remote”.
But an online appeal started by Sala’s agent raised £324,000 (371,000 euros) for a private search led by marine scientist and oceanographer David Mearns.
Working jointly with the AAIB, his ship and the Geo Ocean III, began combing a four square mile area of the English Channel, 24 nautical miles north of Guernsey, to make best use of the available sensors.
Mr Mearns said the plane was identified by sonar, before a submersible with cameras was sent underwater to confirm this.
The AAIB used a remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) to aid the search, with no divers involved.
The body was moved first, and separately from the wreckage, to maximise the chances of it being successfully brought to the surface.
It said efforts to recover the crashed plane as a whole proved unsuccessful, before being abandoned due to poor weather.
“The weather forecast is poor for the foreseeable future and so the difficult decision was taken to bring the overall operation to a close,” the AAIB said in a statement.
However, the AAIB said video footage captured by the ROV would provide “valuable evidence” for its safety investigation.
Meanwhile, it has emerged that Sala’s former club, French Ligue 1 side Nantes, has demanded Cardiff City pay his £15m transfer fee.
Sala, 28, was Cardiff’s record signing but never played for the club.
The fee was due to be paid over three years but Cardiff have withheld the first scheduled payment until they are satisfied with the documentation.
A driver who admitted killing Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman’s mother by running over her has been sentenced to 30 weeks in prison.
Liam Rosney, 33, of Connah’s Quay, had previously admitted causing death by careless driving at Mold Crown Court.
Carol Boardman, 75, died in July 2016 after she fell off her bike in Deeside, Flintshire.
The court heard Rosney was distracted as he made or received three phone calls before the incident.
He faced a charge of causing death by dangerous driving but later admitted the lesser charge.
As well as the prison sentence, Rosney was banned from driving for 18 and a half months.
“This was an accident which could have easily been prevented and your contribution to that accident is significant in as much as you were distracted,” said Judge Rhys Rowlands.
“The distraction being as a result of you using your mobile phone before the actual collision.”
Mrs Boardman, 75, whose cyclist son Chris won gold at the 1992 Olympics, suffered multiple injuries when she was hit by Mr Rosney’s Mitsubishi pick-up truck after falling from her bike on a mini-roundabout in Connah’s Quay on 16 July 2016.
Judge Rowlands said: “Any accident which results in someone losing their life is the most appalling tragedy, the more so when the deceased, as here, was well-loved and, as I have indicated already, a pretty remarkable woman.”
The court heard that in the minutes before Rosney hit Mrs Boardman, who had fallen from her bike on the junction of Mold Road and Ffordd Llanarth, he made or received three phone calls while driving his vehicle, which did not have a hands-free facility.
Matthew Curtis, prosecuting, said: “It’s clear he was speaking to his wife on the telephone four seconds before the fatal collision and he was, we submit, still distracted by the telephone call and mobile telephone handset.”
Oliver Jarvis, defending, said Rosney did not “want to make any excuses for his behaviour” and realised he had “destroyed the lives” of Mrs Boardman’s family.
Chris Boardman said: “My dad has lost his partner of 50 years which has just been absolutely gutting.”
Looking at the devastating impact the incident has had on his family, he questioned the nature of the charge.
“We don’t treat crime committed in cars as serious crime, so somebody can be careless and crush somebody else to death and it’s classed as careless,” he said.
While he said he did not want to see lots of people go to prison, he wanted to see the ability to do harm taken away.
Boardman called for a review of the law, saying people do “the easiest thing” when driving [such as using their phones] and “react to the consequences”, adding: “If the consequence is minimal then where is the reason to change behaviour?”
Rosney and his wife Victoria were cleared of attempting to pervert the course of justice in July.
Mrs Boardman had been a competitive cyclist in her youth and had remained active in cycling until her death.
The family of missing Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala are planning an underwater search.
Family spokesman David Mearns told a press conference that a private search of the English Channel, paid for by fundraisers, also included fishing boats and other vessels.
The underwater search is expected to begin on Sunday.
Meanwhile the family has been taken on a plane to see the area that rescuers have been searching.
They left Guernsey Airport at about 09:30 GMT on a chartered flight with harbourmaster David Barker.
Sala’s sister Romina and mother Mercedes arrived on the island on Sunday and a family spokesman said they were struggling for answers.
The family travelled on a twin-engine Dornier 228-212 plane which flew from Guernsey and circled the island of Alderney.
Mr Mearns told a press conference on Monday: “We would like to thank all the people and all the companies that have offered their help,” he said.
“We have been planning an underwater search as a next phase… there are still boats on the water… and people are still looking.”
Speaking of Sala and the football community’s reaction, Mr Mearns added: “He’s a really friendly person that people loved – from both clubs and any other clubs, and that’s where you see the breath of the football community coming together in an extraordinarily short period of time to raise this type of money.
“So, obviously the family appreciate that, but their minds have been in a different place this week.”
An official search for 28-year-old Sala and pilot David Ibbotson, 59, of Crowle, Lincolnshire, was called off on Thursday, with Mr Barker saying the chance of them being alive was “extremely remote”.
But, after a plea from his sister not to give up, more than £290,000 was raised for a private search to continue – which is being led by Mr Mearns, said to be a renowned shipwreck hunter.
High-profile donors to the GoFundMe page include France and PSG forward Kylian Mbappe, former West Ham midfielder Dimitri Payet and Leicester City winger Demarai Gray.
Three planes and five helicopters racked up 80 hours combined flying time looking for the plane, working alongside two lifeboats and other passing ships.
Guernsey’s harbourmaster Captain David Barker has said the decision to call to call off the search was a “difficult” one, but the chances of survival were “extremely remote” and he was “absolutely confident” no more could have been done.
Peter Gill, the island’s former harbour master, said: “It’s like looking for a needle in a haystack when you don’t even know where the haystack is.
“You don’t know which road it’s in, you don’t know which parish it’s in, you don’t even know which county it’s in.”
He added that the sea off Alderney, where the plane lost contact, was anywhere between 50m (164m) to 140m (460ft) deep, with currents measuring up to five knots (6mph).
“It’s very cold and it’s also quite challenging in terms of currents and they are very, very seldom slack. The actual chance of getting down and finding something is very, very difficult indeed,” he said.
But diver Richard Keen, who often looks for shipwrecks in the Channel Islands said he thought there was a “fairly good chance of finding the aircraft”.
“All other aircraft which have ditched around Guernsey were found very quickly by crab pot fishermen. When they’re lifting their pots, they drag their pots across the seabed, they tangle in the aircraft,” he said.
“There’s about a 50% chance of finding it in the next three months.”
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch has begun an investigation which will look at “all operational aspects,” including licensing and flight plans.
The Piper PA-46 Malibu disappeared over the English Channel with Cardiff City’s new signing and Mr Ibbotson on board.
Mr Ibbotson of Crowle, Lincolnshire, held a private pilot’s licence and passed a medical exam as recently as November, according to Federal Aviation Administration records.
Sala’s father, Horacio, told Argentine TV channel C5N, he heard the news from a friend.
“I didn’t know anything. I couldn’t believe it,” he said. “I’m desperate. I hope everything goes well.”
Meanwhile, John Fitzgerald, chief officer of the Channel Islands Air Search, said the probability of finding anyone alive from the missing aircraft was “reducing very rapidly”.
“I think with the sea temperatures and the sea conditions the chances of finding anybody alive are reducing all the time,” he said.
“The sea temperatures are very, very cold and just sap the core temperature of anybody in the water very, very quickly.”
The plane left Nantes in north west France at 19:15 and had been flying at 5,000ft when it contacted Jersey air traffic control requesting descent, Guernsey Police said.
The plane lost contact while at 2,300ft and disappeared off radar near the Casquets lighthouse, infamous among mariners as the site of many shipwrecks, eight miles (13km) north-west of Alderney.
The force added UK authorities have been calling airfields on the south coast to see if it landed there but there had been no confirmations and a decision about an overnight search would be made at sunset.
A spokesman for the French Civil Aviation Authority said the Piper PA 46 Malibu aircraft was French but had not been registered in France.
“We can confirm Emiliano Sala was on board,” he said.
“This morning, the French research started with one French national navy ship and one aircraft. The investigation will determined which authority will take the lead on the research.”
Sightings of red flares were reported during a lifeboat and helicopter search, but “nothing of significance was found”, a Channel Islands Air Search spokeswoman said.
Police said on Tuesday more than 1,150sq miles had been searched by five aircraft and two lifeboats. The search had resumed after being called off overnight “due to strengthening winds, worsening sea conditions and reducing visibility”.
Cardiff Airport confirmed the aircraft was due to arrive from Nantes but a spokeswoman said there were no further details.
Guernsey harbour master Captain David Barker said no distress call had been received and if the search continues into the night it is unlikely to have a good outcome.
“It’s far easier to see something on the surface in daylight,” he said. “We are looking for any traces of an aircraft, a life raft, persons in the water, life jackets.”
The Met Office said conditions were not “too intense” at the time the aircraft went missing but had become wetter and windier later in the evening.
John Fernandez, a reporter for BBC Guernsey, said it was a difficult area to search.
“A number of search vessels are out searching the area. It’s known for its strong currents – there are a number of shipwrecks,” he added.
“The search area is absolutely massive at the moment. They’re searching a number of different spots at the moment – they’re not sure whereabouts this plane might have gone down.”
Cardiff signed Sala for a club record fee after protracted negotiations with Nantes and he was due to join his new teammates for training on Tuesday. Training was cancelled.
In a statement, the club’s chief executive Ken Choo said they were praying for “positive news” for the player and pilot.
He added: “We were very shocked upon hearing the news that the plane had gone missing. We expected Emiliano to arrive last night into Cardiff and today was due to be his first day with the team.
“Our owner, Tan Sri Vincent Tan, and chairman, Mehmet Dalman, are all very distressed about the situation.”
He has been among the top scorers in France in recent years and had scored 13 league and cup goals this season, third behind Kylian Mbappe and Nicolas Pepe.
When his move to Cardiff was announced, he said: “It gives me great pleasure and I can’t wait to start training, meet my new teammates and get down to work.”
The most recent tweet from Sala’s account was a picture of him and his former team-mates, captioned “La ultima ciao”, or “the last goodbye”.
Sala began his playing career at Argentine side Club Proyecto Crecer, before moving to French club Girondins Bordeaux in 2012.
A CCTV clip posted on Twitter by police showed a group of seven young people walking past the vehicle shortly before the blast.
Addressing MPs in the Commons on Monday afternoon, Prime Minister Theresa May said: “This house stands together with the people of Northern Ireland in ensuring that we never go back to the violence and terror of the past.”
Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley told MPs those behind the attack “will never succeed”.
“Londonderry is a city that has thrived since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement 20 years ago – everyone can see that – and one that will continue to grow and develop despite the actions of those who seek to sow discord and division,” she said.
DUP leader Arlene Foster tweeted that the PSNI “needs our full support to remove those responsible from our streets”.
Sinn Féin councillor Kevin Campbell said there can be “no justification for this type of reckless activity”.
“Those responsible for this disruption have shown complete disregard for the people of Creggan, particularly elderly people who live in this area,” he said.
At the courthouse in Derry, scheduled jury trials have been put off until Wednesday.